- Cats do not really have nine lives. This popular saying is just a myth, and the number even varies in different cultures, traditions and different countries.
- Cats only have one life to live just like the rest of us.
- The real origin of this proverb is a bit cloudy but there are seven reasons why people believe that cats have nine lives.
- Their incredible senses, amazing grooming routine, climbing ability, unique sense of balance, instinctive righting reflex, good flexibility and agility, and superior hunting skills could all have led people to think that cats have multiple lives.
If you have ever heard the expression: ‘Cats have nine lives.’, you are not alone. It is a very famous phrase that has been passed down from generation to generation.
However, have you ever actually stopped and truly thought about the meaning of it or what’s behind it? When you do, you will realize that it is not a simple, single question but quite like a series of them:
- Do cats really have nine lives? Or is this just a myth?
- Why exactly nine? And, what does it mean?
- Where does this come from? Is there any truth behind it?
- Or, if it is just a saying, how many lives does a cat have?
While many people know all about cats, they often omit this commonly known saying from their knowledge. Now, it is time to reveal the truth and see the facts behind this proverb. This article will share everything you need to know about this age-old phrase.
Do cats have nine lives?
Throughout history, cats have been associated with something mysterious or even magical. While many legends have been created, one of the most mysterious one is about their unusual endurance. From times immemorial, they are said to have nine lives.
Cats might be a little mysterious but they obviously do not have nine lives, do they?
Of course, the answer is no. Cats do not really have nine lives. They are not immortal and there is no scientific evidence that would suggest that cats have nine lives.
So, to your surprise: the saying that ‘Cats have nine lives.’ is just a myth. However, one that believes in reincarnation may say that cats have more than one life, but then not necessarily only nine. Right?
How many lives does a cat have?
Now, this is a good question. If you have international relatives or friends you can even get in a playful argument debating the amount of lives that a cat has. Why is that?